We propose the Purdue HR develop a professional development plan that will document the objectives, required skill and proficiency development, and objectives that a Purdue Clerical and Service staff will need to accomplish in order to support continuous improvement and career development. This professional development plan would be used by the Purdue Clerical and Service staff’s Supervisor working with the staff member to identify the necessary skills and resources to support the staff member's career goals and the Purdue’s professional needs.
Professional development for a Clerical or Service staff member begins when they make a request for a professional development plan. Their Supervisor, with advice from HR, would help the staff member develop a "living" professional development plan for them. Professional development plans should be reviewed on an on-going basis throughout the year, with at least one provisional review discussion between the staff member and supervisor prior to the end of the yearly performance review period.
The proposed Professional Development Program would involve the following five steps to create a professional development plan for each Purdue’s Clerical and Service Staff.
1. Request from the staff member for a self-assessment.
The staff member will complete a self-assessment of their interests, skills, values, and personality with the help of a HR counselor.
2. Supervisor will develop an assessment of the staff member’s skill level.
Based on the staff member’s assessment, their work record, and the Supervisor’s observations the staff member’s skill level will include the following classifications:
• Technical skills: skills needed for their present position and to meet their future goals.
• Social skills: how does the staff member work with others?
• Aptitudes: accepted talents and special abilities for getting their responsibilities done, or learning to do new responsibilities..
• Attitude: viewpoint, feelings, mind-set, and approach.
3. Assess the...