Brand and Corporate Communications
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1.0 Abstract 3
2.0 Task 1: Forces influencing corporate reputation 4
2.1 Who are Alton Towers 5
2.2 What is Corporate Reputation 5
2.3 Forces affecting Corporate Reputation of Alton Towers 6
3.0 Task 2: Corporate Reputation factors 6
4.0 Task 3: Building Blocks of Corporate Reputation 7
4.1 Alton Towers: Personality and Culture 9
5.0 Task 4: Importance of managing corporate reputation: 11
6.0 Recommendations 12
7.0 Appendix 14
This report will follow a recent incident that occurred regarding Alton Towers, a UK based theme park. As safety concerns came to light in June 2015, the corporate reputation of the brand began to diminish.
The report will outline what corporate reputation is and the various factors that influence the reputation of Alton Towers.
· Define the factors and linkages which impact corporate reputation, and justify the importance of managing the corporate reputation.
· Analyse the context of branding and assess methods used to measure corporate brands.
Forces which influence corporate reputation
Who are Alton Towers/ Merlin Entertainment?
Alton towers is stated to be the UK’s number one theme park (Alton Tower 2016). It was first open to the public in 1980 with only a small selection of roller coasters and rides, but it has grown to incorporate a total of 29 rides (ehow).
The theme park is owned in full by Merlin Entertainment, who are the second largest visitor attraction operator, only falling behind to Disney (Merlin Entertainment). In fact it currently operates 110 attractions, 11 hotels and 3 holiday villages in 23 countries across the world. The group aims to deliver ‘unique, memorable and rewarding experiences’ to their millions of visitors (Merlin Entertainment).
· It is the world's second-largest visitor attraction operator behind Disney and runs 105 attractions, 11 hotels and three holiday villages in 23 countries
· As some of the UK's best known rollercoasters - including Nemesis, Oblivion, Air and Rita - and attracts millions of visitors every year.
· UK’s No. 1 Theme Park!
· The company runs a number of theme parks in the UK, mainland Europe, the US and Malaysia, including Thorpe Park, Chessington World of Adventures and Legoland.
The reputational Issue
BBC News (2015) reported that on the 2th of June 2015, Alton Towers was involved in its most serious incident since it began. The smiler ride was swanked as the first 14-looped rollercoaster of its kind, however concerns over the rides safety were noted on various occasion before the major incident in January 2015. (SOURCE)
The incident involved 16 people being injured, 4 out of which were classified as serious. Those who were in a carriage were injured when it collided with an empty stationary...