BIO 211 Human Anatomy and Physiology II
Exam 2 Study Guide
Instructor: M. Esa Seegulam, PhD
Exam Date: Friday February 16, 2018
This assignment will be graded based on the quality of the submitted document and not solely on completion.
Draw by hand and label the following three diagrams and attach them to the front of the study guide.
(i) Fig 19.9: Internal Structures of the Heart
(ii) Figure 20.16: Capillary Exchange (or the one immediately following it in the lecture slides)
(iii) Figure 21.3: Lymphatic Capillaries
For Exam 2, you must:
1. Understand the difference between the two circuits of the cardiovascular system (pulmonary vs. systemic).
2. Understand the location, structure and function of the pericardial sac
3. Understand the location, structure and function of the atrioventricular valves and the names of each: tricuspid and mitral/bicuspid valves
4. Understand how the coronary arteries function to supply the tissue of the heart with blood and the role of the coronary sinus in delivering deoxygenated blood to the right atrium
5. Be able to identify, correctly spell, and differentiate between left and right structures of the dissected human heart
6. Understand the meaning of the words ‘systole’ and ‘diastole’ and how the coordinated actions of atrial systole and ventricular diastole (and the reverse) move blood through the chambers of the heart
7. Understand the meanings of words that describe irregularities in heart functions including ‘murmur,’ ‘arrythmia,’ ‘tachycardia,’ and ‘bradycardia.’
8. Understand how an electrical impulse originating at the sinoatrial node (SA node) in conjunction with the atrioventricular node (AV node) and Purkinje fibers generates a cardiac rhythm
9. Understand the meaning of the term ‘electrocardiogram’ and the general purpose of the procedure
10. Understand the differences changes in sympathetic and parasympathetic impulses can have on the heart and on the blood pressure
11. Understand the meanings of the terms:...