Topic: Poverty eradication – to stop poverty
· 3 billion people live on less than $2.50 a day
· 80% of the population in our world lives on less than $10 a day
· a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read because they cannot pay for education
· there are 2.2 billion children in the world and 1 billion are living in poverty
· Poverty in the United States is going down
· Sub-Saharan Africa houses 43 percent of the global poor.
· 30 percent of the worlds extremely poor people live in India.
· Poverty s found everywhere in the world. Mostly in underdeveloped countries.
· India, Africa
· Children left in poverty often are left to die and be on their own. Also, people don’t have money or access to life’s basic needs.
Organization: Poverty Eradication Network (PEN)
· Vision: “A society where all people have access to a life of dignity, devoid of absolute poverty.”
· Mission statement (revised): here to end poverty so those living in these conditions can have a successful life and future
· Organization started November 4th, 2002
· Non-profit organization
· Focuses on the long term aspects of people in Africa to get them out of poverty
· The work together with communities, citizens, and the civil sector
This goes along the lines with Human Development for the fact that humans are trying to make a difference for the entire world. We are developing as a species for the fact that we are all find new ways to produce, or consumer or even help others. It shows who we really are as people when we all come together to make a difference.
I believe completely that this is the best approach. This organization works directly with people in order to get them out of poverty. By donations, these people can do the appropriate actions to help out those people in African who do live under the poverty line. They want to get the communities all together again to work as a whole to also better themselves. This is not only a good way to go about helping to get others out of the poverty line, it is the best way.
Anthropologists can do a lot to help the poverty issue. I believe they already...