The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines a team as: “a number of persons associated together in work or activity,” or “a group of people who work together.” In the current information age more companies are relying on teams to solve challenging tasks and to reach more difficult goals. Since a team of professionals with varying expertise can produce solutions that an individual working alone would likely struggle with, it is no wonder teamwork is becoming increasingly valuable to companies across all industries.
When employees have a say in their roles in the workplace they are happier, healthier and more productive. People are social creatures and it is not surprising that working in a team ...view middle of the document...
Cold Stone Creamery makes use of several different types of teams within its organization. These are formal teams, vertical teams, horizontal teams, special purpose teams, self-directed teams and global teams. Examples of these types of teams are:
• Vertical team – Any retail related business, for example London Drugs. Store locations are led by head office and each location will have a store manager, one or more assistant managers, department managers, and each department’s support staff.
• Horizontal teams – A web design team which includes a front end designer and developer working with one or more back end developers, and marketing specialists. This structure can produce effective and efficient results within a reasonable timeline.
• Special purpose teams – Event planning such as those for a community event. The Steveston Maritime Festival in Richmond, BC for example. Tourism Richmond gathers volunteers to work alongside the City of Richmond’s Britannia Heritage Shipyard staff to facilitate the annual event. After the event is over the volunteer teams are disbanded.
• Self-Directed Teams – 3M has implemented self-directed teams in most of its manufacturing facilities. This approach has allowed managers to spend more time to “coach, develop, and facilitate rather than simply direct and control.”
• Global Teams - Outsourcing web development jobs to developers in other countries for example. Due to lower wage expectations in some countries as compared to North America, and the long hours required for some development jobs, this can be a cost effective way of managing the budget of a larger project.
Smaller teams of no more than five members have been cited as being more effective. In larger groups there is a tendency to have increased misunderstandings, more pressure is placed on the...