1. Are organic products more nutritional than non-organic products?
2. Aim: To show that organic products are more nutritional than non-organic products.
Hypothesis: Organic products have more nutritional value than non-organic products.
Yogurt is a delicious dairy product that is filled with vitamins, calcium, protein and probiotics. Many teenagers enjoy eating yoghurt as it a simple on the go product, which can be a healthy alternative as a snack. It can boost your immunity as the calcium along with the good bacteria can reduce the risk of colon cancer and keep your colon healthy – it can also aid with digestion and absorption of nutrients due to the presence of lactic acid. Organic yogurt has even more advantages and benefits for your health than inorganic yoghurt (1). Organic produce is made using animal and environmentally friendly farming methods where as animals are treated in a humane manner. In yoghurt production it is a method where by no antibiotics or hormones are used on the animals that produced the dairy; where disease is minimized by preventative measures such as rotation grazing for the animal involved, thus ensuring a balanced diet and clean housing. (2). However, hormones and antibiotics in non-organic products given to dairy animals or humans have not been found to have negative long-term effects (1). Non-organic produce is made by using chemical fertilizers to promote plant growth as well as synthetic herbicides, pesticides and insecticides to control weed growth and reduce pests and disease (3). Although there are less environmental advantages in regards to non-organic farming, conventional farming reduces the amount of land needed for growth as it offers more yield per ache (4). Exposure to some forms of pesticides can contribute to health factors such as ADHD in children, which is usually found in non-organic produce, therefore pesticide levels in your body can lower or even disappear when switching to a organic diet. Knowing the health advantages and disadvantages of organic and non-organic produce is important to make a healthy decision with regards to your diet (5).
• Research will be conducted with the difference between organic and in-organic food.
• A paragraph will be written down to show a few of the differences between the 2 before the experiment is started.
• A certain type of organic and in-organic yoghurt will be chosen to focus the research on.
• An organic and non-organic version of the same branded yoghurt will be bought, from the same store in April.
• Each yoghurt label will be checked to see the nutritional differences.
• Tables and graphs will be drawn up to compare the nutritional value of the 2 different types of yogurt.
• Results will be analyzed according to the table and graph and further research from the Internet.
• A conclusion will be made as to which has as higher nutritional value - organic or inorganic products.