Brilliant Lies - Original Script Writing
Act One Scene One
1. The case between Susy and Gary is one where it is one's words
2. From the first scene it would appear that Susy has got her heart
set on getting 40 thousand dollars from the case. One would also
get the impression that she is a slut and a bit of a player.
1. Gary is an uptight and aggressive character. Vince would appear
to be lay back and nice. They however both agree that the sexual
harassment laws are out to get middle class white males. Gary says
"Damned if you do, damned if you don't", which mean even if you
are not guilty you must pay up or risk getting your reputation
2. When Marion says "I'm on the side of the truth" Williamson is
implying that we may never know what the real truth is, just the
twisted version that people create in their minds to cover and to
1. The current status of the sisters is as follows: Katy - Worked as
an architect but was laid off, now she drives a taxi to make
enough money to rent the apartment that her and Susy live in and
also to buy food and pay the bills know that Susy is not working.
Susy - Susy is also dismissed from work after alleged sexual
harassment; she now lives with her sister Katy. Both the girls are
unhappy with their current status.
2. Paul thinks that Susy dresses like a tart and believes that women
are out to rip of their employers. Pauls view does not differ that
much from Gary's view, which is surprising given the huge
difference in personality between the two people.
3. The Connor family is critical of each other. The father sexually
abused his daughters at an age when they where developing into
1. When Marion tells Susy that Vince and Gary said she made many
private phone calls, slept at her desk and told married women
about her drug taking Susy said "Oh shit! Did they say that?". She
obviously was not expecting them to tell Marion about those
things. Williamson wants us to know that neither side is telling
the complete truth. He wants us to decide what the truth is, if we
ever do know the real truth!
1. Gary believes that Gay Armenians and Lesbian Turks are dictating
the moral agenda.
2. Vince is not so sure that Gary is innocent of these allegations
of sexual harassment. Also Vince saw Gary having launch with some
Merchant Bankers and does not believe it when Gary says that they
are some old college friends. This develops a rift between the