1. What characters do we meet in the first chapter?
We first meet Dill, Jem, Simon Finch, Atticus, John Hale Finch, Calpurnia, Mrs. Henry, Mr. Radley, Boo Radley, Mr. Conner, Nathan Radley, and Scout.
2. In what year is the story taking place?
The story of the book takes place in the 1933.
3. From what point of view does the narrator tell the story? Who is the narrator?
The narrator tells the story from first person. The narrator is Scout.
4. What social position does the Finch family occupy in their town? What clues point to this?
The Finches are very well respected and they are quite wealthy. (They have a housekeeper etc...) but they aren't the top of the social hierarchy ladder (Like Aunt Alexandra likes to think, whom you'll come across later).
5. What is the name of the town where the story takes place?
The story takes plays in Maycomb, Alabama.
6. What is Scout and Jem’s father’s occupation?
Scout and Jem's father is a lawyer. He fights for justice in Maycomb.
7. Where is their mother? What happened to her?
Their mother died from a sudden heart attack, when Scout was only 2 years old.
8. What is unusual about the Radley place? Why?
The doors and shutters are always closed, the year is unkempt, and one of the inhabitants of the house hasn’t been seen in years.
9. What are some of the children’s superstitions concerning...