Commander in Chief,
I have received word that the Red Army is moving toward Berlin in hopes of taking the city from Nazi control. I am aware that, if they manage to arrive in the city before the American troops, Berlin will undoubtedly be forced into communist control after the war. I am also aware that I have but two options to choose from: Either move my forces into Berlin before the Red Army invades or let the Red Army invade and risk the city falling into communist control. Thus far, we have done everything in our power to end the spread of communism; however, my directive calls for military-only action against Germany and I was told to enter the continent of Europe, and, in conjunction with the other United Nations, undertake operations aimed at the heart of Germany and the destruction of her armed forces. I have been taught to keep my eyes on the military road to victory and leave political decisions to civil authorities and I know ...view middle of the document...
Therefore, I am wary of entering Berlin and putting my troops’ lives at stake. General Omar Bradley has predicted that our casualties may reach up to 100,000 soldiers, but I know that the losses may be worse than that since the Germans lost close to 1,000,000 men in the urban warfare that ensued while they tried to overtake Leningrad and Stalingrad. Seeing as my men are unaccustomed to the house-to-house fighting that is involved in urban warfare and would not be able to use their greatest weapon, airfare, since they would be dropping bombs on both the Germans and themselves, and I know the Red Army was had plenty of experience with this fighting style, as they were the ones fighting the Germans at Leningrad and Stalingrad, I believe that Soviets would have a better chance taking control of Berlin from the Nazis.
At this time I have also been informed that the Germans are preparing to take troops to the mountains in southern Germany and Austria. I believe that this would allow them the high ground they would need to assault the Allied forces and prolong the war for months to come. I have received your orders that it is imperative to end the fighting in Europe so that men and supplies can be shifted to General MacArthur in the Pacific and help with the fighting against the Japanese. I believe that, if I were to take my troops to the mountains I may be able to stop the Germans from reaching this high ground and keep them from being able to prolong this war.
Adding all of this information with the news that the Allies have met at the Yalta Conference and agreed upon the zones/sectors that Germany and Berlin will be split into once the war is over, I believe it would be better to allow the Red Army to take Berlin. I know that this decision will cause millions of Germans to be subjugated by the Soviet’s communistic rule, but I also know that this may stop any future tension that would come from taking the city and then denying the USSR the land they we have told them they would receive. I hope this decision I have made is the right one.