SS9 (1A and 1E) -- Fall Assignments 2016 – Ms. Papp
Introduction, Physical geography, Note-taking
1. Read the Course Information document on our Moodle page
2. Read the “Note-Taking” handout on our Moodle page.
3. Using any style of notes covered on the “Note taking” handout, read Goldschmidt pages 5-11 and take notes. This will be checked as your first HW assignment.
· How did the climate and location of the Middle East impact its development?
· What natural resources does the Middle East possess? How has its resources (or lack thereof) shaped its development?
Note: If you don’t have your book, I’ve scanned it and put it on the Moodle page!
Persia- Cyrus and Darius
Read Spielvogel, 46-51 and take notes in one of the styles I taught you
· What methods did the Persians use to create and maintain their empire?
· Why was their military powerful?
· How did Persian methods of governing and fighting differ from the Assyrians’ methods?
· What did Darius do to make his empire more organized and efficient?
· How did the geography of Persia influence the rise of the Achaemenid dynasty?
Cyrus the Great
Study for Geography quest - information to be posted to Moodle
Geography of Greece; the Greek Polis
Spielvogel, 54-55 and 60-63
Take notes in one of the styles I taught you
· How did the geography of Greece affect Greek history?
· Make a list in your notes of the main features of the polis
· What did the Greek military system look like? Compare it to the Persians.
· What were the main developments of the Archaic Age?
Knossos Polis (plural is poleis)
Archaic Age (know the dates!)
Athens and Sparta
*Assign Athenian Statesman Project*
Read Spielvogel, 63-66 (including box)- STOP at Greek Culture
Study Questions- To be checked!!
· Make a T-chart of the major differences between Sparta and Athens as city-states.
· Why were the Lycurgan reforms implemented in Sparta?
· What were Cleisthenes’ reforms?
*Do not take notes on anything other than these questions and the Terms below*
Read Spielvogel, 68-71 (Read the box on Marathon)
In Your Notes- To be checked!
· Chart out the course of the war and battles. How did it start? How did it end?
· How did the death of Darius affect the Persians?
Battle of Marathon
Spielvogel, 71-73 and read box with Pericles' Funeral Oration
· How did Athens keep control over the Delian League?
Council of 500...