Cannabis, or marijuana, is the most commonly used illegal drug. It comes from the Cannabis sativa plant. It can be smoked or eaten, and comes in a variety of forms, such as dried plant leaves and flowers (‘heads’), a crumbly, light-brown or dark-brown resinous material called ‘hash’, or a very potent oil called ‘hash oil’. There are many different names for cannabis such as marijuana, weed, pot, kush, dope, grass, head, mary-jane, doobie, bud, ganja, hashish, hash, bhang.
Is it a stimulant or a depressant?
Cannabis is a depressant drug and may induce psychosis in some people.
What are the short-term effects of cannabis?
· Sensory distortion
· Poor coordination of movement
· Lowered reaction time
· After an initial “up,” the user feels sleepy or depressed
· Increased heartbeat (and risk of heart attack)
What are the long-term effects of cannabis?
· Reduced resistance to common illnesses (colds, bronchitis, etc.)
· Suppression of the immune system
· Growth disorders
· Increase of abnormally structured cells in the body
· Reduction of male sex hormones
· Rapid destruction of lung fibers and lesions (injuries) to the brain could be permanent
· Reduced sexual capacity
· Study difficulties: reduced ability to learn and retain...