Effect of Acids and Bases
Experiments to Determine the Effect of Acids & Bases on Different Indicators and the pH of Common Cleaning Agents
The aim of the first set of experiments is to find out and record the colour changes that are observed after a certain indicator is mixed with acids and bases to form a colour reaction. Once the selected indicator has been mixed with a acid that is both weak and strong and a base/alkali that is both weak and strong we are to record the colour and choose another indicator. The purpose of this experiment is to find out what indicators are sensitive to what areas of the pH colour spectrum, while also looking how Universal Indicator covers most areas of the pH spectrum generally but much less accurately. The aim for the second experiment is to find out the pH levels of different domestic cleaners and then studying the results. The main purpose of this experiment is that it gives an insight to whether cleaners are basic or acidic for our general knowledge. The only predictions I made on the first experiment was that know what colour would be shown after the reaction with the Universal Indicator. This was because I already had the pH chart for this indicator with me to confirm colours vs. pH. I did make a prediction on the second experiment which was that almost all of the cleaners would have a different pH level. I thought this because all of the domestic cleaners are suited to remove different things such as grease and mould and for this you would need a different pH level.
* Bottles of Different Indicators
* Strong and Weak Acids
* Strong and Weak Bases
* Rack with Test Tubes
* Containers of Different Domestic Cleaners
* Ceramic Tile
* Universal Indicator pH Chart
* Lab Coat
* Safety Goggles
* Small Quantity of Paper Towel
To start off the experiment a lab coat and safety goggles were worn for safety reasons.
Then a white tile was placed on the bench and then one drop of the chosen strong acid, Hydrochloric Acid 2M ( HCI ) was placed on the tile using an eyedropper. Then one drop of Phenolphthalein was placed on the tile so that it landed in the previous drop of Hydrochloric Acid. This colour reaction was noted and then recorded on a results sheet.
The tile was then placed under a fair quantity of water to clean it and then was dried off with some paper towel. Following the same steps...