A literature review of emotional and behavioural disorders within children.
The emotional and behavioural problems of children can sometimes be overlooked and considered as being poor behaviour or just being out of control, when in some cases the real reason behind this sometimes-extreme behaviour may have more complex factors than of just a child being a challenging teenager. When in reality in a survey carried out by the Office of National Statistics (2004) (Green,H Mcginnity, A.) 38% of five to ten year olds were found to have had an emotional disorder 46% of those being boys and the other 54% being girls. The conclusion of this survey in fact showed that ...view middle of the document...
Huurre (2006) states that In the past few decades, the amount of single parent families has risen; the biggest cause being that of divorce, due to this reason there is an increasing amount of children suffering from the upset of moving home as well as schools, losing emotional support ,economic difficulties and later on the stresses of remarriage of one or both parents (Huurre 2006).
Spencer (2005) reported that 22% of British families were lone parents and in addition were more common within underprivileged groups and as a result, he suggests that there has been an increase of emotional and behavioural problems especially among those boys from lone parent families. Studies centred on the British national cohort study (1958) showed that maternal education in addition to material disadvantage and that of family structure had an effect on children’s cognitive and behaviour results(spencer 2005).
In addition to the lone parent family, other significant factors could account for the cause of emotional and behavioural problems. There has been significant evidence to support theories of attachment by those such as Bowlby & Ainsworth (1953) who through research and studies concluded that because of disrupted or prolonged attachment, and that of poor maternal caregiving may cause adverse effects of child development including that of emotional and behavioural disturbances starting in childhood and continuing in to adulthood.
In a study into the research of children’s behaviours in mother-child interactions Mantymaa, Puura (2009), stated that there was a growing amount of research that indicated that there are significant numbers of young children that experience problems in a social environment. They also argued that the symptoms of psychopathology will not merely fade away over time, but will more than likely continue into adulthood, and In addition that the early detection and intervention may well, accomplish a better outcome than if left and receiving later treatment, which in turn helps towards the prevention of disorders and for the promotion of well-being.
Mantymaa, Puura (2009) also suggests one way of detecting those children at risk of emotional and behavioural issues later on in life is to look at the mother- child relationship. As often, those children with emotional and behavioural issues, in addition to exhibiting psychiatric symptoms, had been experiencing challenges within the interactions with their caregiver. Mantymaa, Puura (2009), also states that this relationship is an important factor in a child’s development in areas that include quality attachments, cognitive development, brain development and physical health. In addition, they indicated that caregiver’s interactions help to strengthen and provide a means for emotional regulation.
The effects of emotional and behavioural issues on education.
Due to the severity of the emotional and behavioural disturbances of the child, this is likely to have a severe impact on their...