Many people may say there is a fine line between right and wrong, but when the choice comes to end someone's life in order to end their suffering, who's to say where that line lies? When it comes to assisted suicide, for me that line is drawn on the side where assisted suicide is right but only under certain circumstances. “No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share”
There are several different types of euthanasia. The first is called "voluntary euthanasia" which is where the patient is willing and wanting to die. The second is called "involuntary euthanasia" which is where the victim is unwilling and not wanting to die. The third type of euthanasia is called "active euthanasia" which is where the victim or doctor uses drugs to end the life of the victim. The fourth type of euthanasia is called "passive euthanasia" which is where the victim is killed by withdrawing the necessary needs to stay alive, such as water, food, drugs or medical surgical procedures. The fifth type of euthanasia is called "physician-assisted suicide" which is where the doctor is the one killing the patients. The last type of euthanasia is called "assisted suicide" which is suicide that is aided by another person. (http://www.terrisfight.org/facts-about-euthanasia/)
In my view, I think any type of suicide is wrong. Under certain circumstances, it’s understandable, although still wrong. Studies show, that the top five reasons given by patients who elected physician assisted suicide in 2005 were: fear of decreasing ability to do enjoyable activities, fear of loss of dignity, fear of losing autonomy, fear of losing control of bodily functions and fear of being a burden. (Cokeram, Paul. Euthanasia. Farmington Hills: Greenhaven, 2007. Print.) This proves that most people who want to die choose this out of fear, knowing this, doctors should be focusing on how to help them want to live, instead of helping them die. With that being said, we also know that some people want to die because of the pain that they are in. studies show 95% of cancer pain is controllable and the remaining 5% can be reduced to a tolerable level, although there are other illnesses that can put people in more pain, and or leave people in a state where they can't even eat without help. (http://www.terrisfight.org/facts-about-euthanasia/)
One of the problems is that doctors are put under oath to not be a part of euthanasia.(http://www.buzzle.com/articles/pros-and-cons-of-euthanasia.html) If someone were to lose a limb in an accident, and they were a swimmer or someone who enjoyed being active, they might want to give up, or kill themselves. To me, that’s not something that people should even consider hurting themselves over. There is a difference between people who have illnesses that keep them from being able to move or cause them to slowly rot away, and someone who has lost a limb or the ability to do something...