Family-based Crisis Intervention with Suicidal Adolescents in the Emergency Room:
A Pilot Study
Elizabeth A. Wharff, Katherine M. Ginnis, and Abigail M. Ross
National Association of Social Workers, vol. 57, no.2. Jan 2, 2012.
Literature Review – COUN 733
The purpose of this research study is to explore the safety and feasibility of a family-based crisis intervention (FBCI) for use exclusively in the emergency room (ER). The pilot program will explore the goal of family assisted suicidal interventions in adolescent cases, and why they may work more effectively than emergency room admissions in crisis situations.
From January 1, 2001 to June 30, 2002, a total number of 144 suicidal adolescents were presented to the ER during the 18-month study period. 100 of these families were concluded to participate in the pilot study. Of this 100 recruited, 67 of these families met the eligibility criteria for FBCI. Families in the study group started the process with a medical examination by a ER Physician to give medical clearance and gain consent/assent. After the assessment was completed, the evaluation clinician reviewed the case to determine if FBCI could be a probable match for intervention purposes.
The study took place in the large urban pediatric ER at the Boston Children’s Hospital where 1,000 patients with psychiatric crisis are seen on an annual basis with 40% of them indicating suicidal indicators. ER staff administering were trained in FBCI protocol by the creators of the intervention at the same location. The pilot sample population included adolescents from the ages of 13 – 18 with 76% of the participants being female and the other 24% male with the average age of participants being 15.6. Self-identified ethnicity and race of the sample population is as follows: 65% - white, 16%...