Gus germs and steel
1. Yali asks Diamond, “Why is it that you white people developed sp
much cargo and brought it to New Guinea, but we black people had
little cargo of our own.”
2. Jared Diamond’s thesis seems to be that external factors such as
geography can affect the fate of human societies. In other words, what
separates the winners from the losers is geography.
1. “The Great Leap Forward” is when human history developed about
50,000 years ago.
2. The giant moas in New Zealand and the giant lemurs in Madagascar
were exterminated by humans.
3. 15,000 years ago the American West looked like Africa’s Serengeti
Plains. It was filled with elephants, giraffes, zebras, and other
African animals. All of these animals living in the American West were
either killed off by Clovis hunters or died due to drought.
4. All of the giant animals residing in Africa were able to survive
because there were no extreme weather conditions and there were not
nearly as many deadly hunters in Africa as there were in America.
1. Pizzaro’s capture of Atahuallpa “offers a broad window onto modern
history” because it has happened many times since then.
2. Technology, or the guns and the steel, was used in exterminating
the Incas. The germs that the Spaniards brought over on their horses
produced small pox.
3. Diamond refers to the battle at Cajamarca a collision because two
of the greatest empires “collided” in a huge fight.
1. Societies with successful food production would grow because there
was enough food for everyone. The greatest food producers became the
world conquerors because they were a big society with big ideas for
2. The development of diseases connected to food production and
sedentary societies because the germs that mutated usually came from
plants or animals.
1. Food production was evolved rather then discovered because the
first people who adopted food production were not trying to farm
because they had never seen how to farm.
2. The four factors that “tipped the competitive advantage away from
hunter-gathering and toward sedentary food production” were: a.)There
was a decline in the amount of animal resources. b) There was an
increased availability of domesticable plants. c) There was an
increased development of technologies for collecting, storing, and
processing wild foods. d) There was a two way link between the rise in
food production and a rise on human population density, meaning that
the food producing societies grew.
1. Domesticated animals are defined as an animal that has been
selectively bred in captivity and has been modified from its
ancestors. According to Jared Diamond, Elephants have only been tamed
because they have not been changed from their ancestors.
2. In order to be domesticated, animals must posses a variety of
characteristics. Failure in anyone of the characteristics would...