The health care system in America is often ridiculed and viewed as miserable in comparison to the health care systems of other nations. The total health care money being spent in the United States alone is reported to reach $4.8 TRILLION dollars in 2021, this is up almost twice as much as what was collected in 2010 at $2.6 TRILLION dollars- and even more from 1970 when it was report at $75 billion. To put this into easier terms for better understanding, it means that 20% of the GDP (gross domestic product) will be from health care spending, 1/5 of the economy in the United States (1).
In 2011, 49 million Americans lacked any form of health insurance (government funded or private), while those Americas who did have health care coverage were subject to a 7.2% increase to their costs from 2011 to 2012. These continued increases are causing a lot of Americans to struggle to pay their health care costs, leading to 26% of Americans reporting either a family member or themselves as having problems paying medical bills acquired in the past year and 58% of Americans said they have even stopped or delayed medical care because of the costs (2).
If we go back to the $2.6 TRILLION dollars spent in 2010 by Americans seeking health care, how is that broken down? 30.74% went to the hospitals that patients visited, 20.04% to the physicians, 10.01% to the coverage of prescription drugs, 5.44% to nursing or continued care, and 3.75% to the private health care administration costs; totaling 69.98%, leaving 30.02% of the money spent on structures/equipment, dental, public health activities, home health, research, and other expenses. In 2011, the Health Care Cost Institute reported that the rising cost of care were the driving power behind the rising cost of private health insurance. All aspects of health care prices with the hospitals has risen, from hospital stays to surgical procedures performed, but nothing increased as quickly as outpatient care costs (3).
Another stress behind American’s seeking health care is the rising cost that the health care providers charge. The amount health care providers charge are well above many European nations (4). The Common Wealth Fund reported that in 2010 the US was the leading nation of adults using medications prescribed by health care providers. 61% of Americans were taking at least one prescription regularly, compared to Sweden at 40%, France at 45%, and Switzerland at...