College is one of the biggest decisions a person can make. For most, the decision is deciding where to go. For some, however, the decision if they should go. David, a high school friend of mine, decided to not go to college. Fortunately, he had been working for a local lighting company, and had enough knowledge and skill to pursue a lighting career in Nashville, Tennessee. Today, David works in freelance, operating the lighting for shows in Nashville and for small tours. His views on college and his mother's reaction to his decision have altered my views on the subject.
According to The Fiscal Times, an online news site, only only 56% of people who enroll in college end up graduating (Lewis). By debunking the myth that someone can't get a good job and you can't be successful without going to college, we can help save the time and money of the other 44%.
There are many myths about college floating around. Some of these myths are that everyone is college material, college is the only place to learn, and everyone must go to college. Because Americans believe these myths, too many people are going to college.
Americans can easily admit that everyone is unique in their own way. Everyone has their own interests, hopes, and dreams. College is not a part of the dreams of some, but it's not so easy for everyone else to accept that fact. As Karen Datko of MSN writes, “not everyone is suited for college,” (Datko). The first myth that must be debunked is the assumption that everyone is college material.
Let's go back to my friend David. He is in between two very intelligent siblings, both of whom are hard workers and find success in school. Although David is equally intelligent, he never cared about school or paid attention in class. He even nearly dropped out during his senior year. After his older brother went to college, David's mother wanted him to go as well. If he had gone, he wouldn't have made it very far because of his apathy towards learning in a classroom. His mother encouraged him to go to college but she did not force him.
A mother can force her seven-year-old son to eat vegetables, but she can't force a college student to go to class. College is the first time when a child becomes independent from his parents and makes his own decisions. David's mother knew this. If a student chooses not to go to class, he fails his class, leading to the conclusion that there is no point for this type of person to go to college in the first place. Even if college sounds like the best option for success, this type of person would most likely end up in the 44% of students who drop out of college, so why push?
Learning is associated with college. We assume that a someone who is smart learned from a university. We often forget that learning is not only limited to school. The second myth that must be debunked is that college is the only place to learn (“Five Reasons...”).
Most people are familiar with YouTube sensation Julian...