Judaism, Christianity, and Islam
What’s Going On?
· Name Meanings
· Followers of Christ (Greek christos, Messiah)
· Submission (Arabic)
· Of the Kingdom of Judah
· Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are monotheistic religions since they believe there is only one God (Capital G)
· Christians believe in One God who exists in three distinct persons (The Trinity): Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Their founder is Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit is truly divine.
· Matthew 28:19 – Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost”
· Islam speaks of One God, Allah, who is not a trinity. Their founder is Mohammed. The Holy Spirit is identical with the Angel Gabriel, who appeared to the Prophet Mohammed giving him the Quranic text
· Quran 112: 1 – Say, “He is Allah, [who is] One
· The Jews have One God known as ‘Yahweh’ or ‘Jehovah’. There is only one Creator who does not change. The Holy Spirit is not a distinct person, but a divine power which for example, was given to the Prophets
· Deuteronomy 6:4 – Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord
· In Christianity, he is the second person of the Trinity and born of the Virgin Mary
· In Islam, Jesus (known as Isa) was a prophet, sent by Allah and born of the Virgin Mary, but he is not divine
· The Jews see Jesus as an ordinary Jew, not the Messiah, not the son of God, nor a divine person. Jews pray only to the Jehova and believe that Moses was the greatest of all prophets.
· Holy Books