Most leadership styles are based on a person’s views, values, past leadership experiences, learning abilities, and cultural environment. Because of today’s diverse culture leaders are finding themselves in a position of needing to understand the work force in which they are responsible. Motivating employees can also depend on the degree of change in which an employee will need to do for a given task. All employees will not be open to change and therefore leaders will be become motivators.
We are all products of our environment and the people you lead with come from various environment. Remember it is our environment that shapes and moles us into the persons we are. As a person grows in life it is those life skills that are taught, learned and the viewed. Values that have been shared to help understand how the world is perceived and operates, and your freedom to choose are all developed early on in a person life.
You may find yourself leading a diverse group of employees. You must learn the different cultural values in your work environment as well as learning how to bridge cultural differences in the work place. However, in order to achieve the goals of the organization and motivate the employees the leader must remember some key factors:
• Create an environment where people will take pride in their jobs
• Consider the cultural diversity makeup of the group (geographical backgrounds, religion, race etc.)
• Identify multiple approaches to use in motivating their employees
• Involve the employees in the decision of the task to be done
• Identify problems or potential problems and solve them early on
• Listen and be attentive to the concerns of your employees
• Be patient and empathetic with your employees
• Have the ability to build confidence in your employees
• Allow the employee to think and work independently while achieving their goals as well as the goals of the organization
• Give encouragement and a feeling of being sufficient to the organization
Leaders who have a knack for motivating will be more effective in getting the team to see the picture, take the task and complete the assignment. It is assumed that most employees are motivated by challenges...