This website uses cookies to ensure you have the best experience. Learn more

Legalization Essay

673 words - 3 pages

LegalizationLegalization of marijuana has been a controversial issue in the U.S. forthe past several years. The people vs. the federal government is just one ofthe main debates over legalization.In the past marijuana was required to be grown on most plantations inthe southern region. It could be purchased in one ounce packages for onlytwenty five cents. Further down the time line we find that marijuana isincreasingly being used in the inner cities and suburban areas. Marijuana wasconsiders legal in the late 1800's but a bill was passed and marijuana wasquickly considered to be illegal. The federal legislation prohibiting marijuanapassed at the end of 1937 congressional session was virtually scare enacted.people feared the effects of it and wanted to stop the growth and importationof it. Congress passed the Marijuana Tax Act, which 'requires all personswho import, manufacture, produce, compound, sell, deal in, and dispense paya graduated occupational tax.' This tax was an attempt to make it harder fordealers of marijuana to make money off the export and import of marijuana.Attempts that he government has made to pass bills that decriminalizemarijuana were shot down by legislature and the federal government. Asurvey taken says that although illegality should be maintained, the penaltiesfor it should be lessened. There is a theory that marijuana stimulatesviolence, yet it has not been proven as a fact. In several states, such as NewJersey, the marijuana regulations and penalties have been lessened. GovernorCahill, from New Jersey, recommended that criminal penalties for a small2possession of marijuana should be reduced by making it a disorderly personoffense.Several states have lessened their penalties for possession, but nonehave legalized it. Dr. Tod Mikuriya, from the Indian Hemp drug commission,proposed a list of regulations for the control of marijuana if it were to becomelegal. It stated that possession without intent to sell shall not be consideredto be a crime, all growers importers shall be regulated and watched over likea typical industry, public places where marijuana is sold for on premises useshall be licensed like any alcohol serving bar, and determination of the THCpotency and purity shall...

Find Another Essay On Legalization

Marijuana Legalization Essay

1601 words - 7 pages Marijuana is a cannabaceae plant, which has always been associated with negative connotations until recently, when it has been discovered that this plant may be used to cure diseases and improve a country economy. Thus, the American opinion is split on the question of “Marijuana Legalization”. In fact, a survey undertaken by CNN/ORC International Poll states that 55 % of Americans believe that the use of marijuana should be legal, while only 44

Drug legalization Essay

896 words - 4 pages Any close examination of the "war on drugs" metaphor leads inescapably to the conclusion that one weapon could bring us to the brink of victory--legalization. But most who discuss this option consider it surrender.How have we confused surrender with victory? Let's start by looking at the "war on drugs" metaphor closely, and define some "war" terms. First, who or what is the "enemy?" Second, what defines "victory" in this "war?"Is the "enemy" in

Drug Legalization

2354 words - 10 pages MARIJUANA LEGALIZATION The debate concerning the prohibition of marijuana has been a heated one.Thousands of citizens, politicians, political figures, and interest groups are calling for reform. Some call for legalization, and some are calling for decriminalization. The argument is anything but a new one. What is it about this substance that people feel so passionately about? As early as around 2727 B.C., people have used

Drug Legalization

1000 words - 4 pages Drug Legalization Drug abuse has progressively, over the last thirty years, become a tool for crime organizations and bureaucracies, independent and under the control of the federal government, used to transform drug addiction into a profit through the passage of countless laws against drug abuse. Gore Vidal's assertive essay communicated his belief that drug addiction should be legalized in order to ensure the eventual well-being and

Marijuana Legalization

882 words - 4 pages torment him until he dies. Pro-legalization leaders have listed the mental and physical pains that are cured by marijuana. But opposers of marijuana point out that for every advantage that comes out of the legalization of marijuana, there are just as many disadvantages that prove it should not be legalized in the first place. Marijuana has many practical medical uses.Legalizing marijuana would positively effect terminally ill patients. Under all

Drug Legalization

1151 words - 5 pages side of making these drugs legal. If the restrictions are taken away, our society as a whole will be in jeopardy. The government can continue to predict the possibilities, but drugs will never be safe in our hands. Drug legalization creates an unsafe living environment. Illicit drugs create violence. In fact, the Bureau of Justice states that in 2004 nearly a third of state and a quarter of federal prisoners committed their offenses under the

Marijuana Legalization

809 words - 4 pages goddess, herb, homegrown, KGB (Killer Green Bud), kindbud, locoweed, shake, sinsemilla, skunk, and wacky tabacky. Marijuana is one of the most highly debated topics in America. There are many topics that are debated about marijuana, but the three most popular are legalization, the gateway theory, and the danger and effects of marijuana. On that same note, the legalization of marijuana is a topic that many legislators debate on. Some legislators

Marijuana’s legalization

1352 words - 6 pages Marijuana should be legalized and while many people still think of marijuana as a dangerous drug some states are starting to legalize it. This is the case for the states of Colorado and Washington. It is a drug that has been around for a very long time and many people, including several US presidents, have tried it at one point or another in their lives (Johnny Green, 2013). With all the different arguments for and against its legalization the

Marijuana Legalization

2088 words - 8 pages legalization. Being a smoked treatment also hurts marijuana’s chances at being used; many opponents of medical cannabis have stated their concerns with a treatment that can potentially cause lung and respiratory issues, and with the difficulty to properly control dosages when the drug is smoked (Nakaya 55). While the cannabis plant has seen use as hemp and a medicinal substance, its use as a psychoactive drug is the most notable aspect of

Marijuana Legalization

865 words - 3 pages Running Head: WHY MARIJUANA SHOULD BE LEGALIZED IN JAMAICAInternational University of the CaribbeanInstructor: Ms. D. MorganJordon WatsonID# 1215417Due January 29, 2014The legalization of Marijuana is a highly heated and controversial issue in Jamaica today. Data shows that over 25% of Jamaicans believe marijuana should remain illegal and the remaining 75% believe the pot's legal status should be altered. Prohibitionist policies based on

Marijuana Legalization - 865 words

865 words - 3 pages Running Head: WHY MARIJUANA SHOULD BE LEGALIZED IN JAMAICAInternational University of the CaribbeanInstructor: Ms. D. MorganJordon WatsonID# 1215417Due January 29, 2014The legalization of Marijuana is a highly heated and controversial issue in Jamaica today. Data shows that over 25% of Jamaicans believe marijuana should remain illegal and the remaining 75% believe the pot's legal status should be altered. Prohibitionist policies based on

Similar Essays

Drug Legalization Essay

1281 words - 5 pages Strong drug enforcement in the United States is correlated with the reduction in crime , drug use, and drug addiction growth rates. The impact on tougher drug sanctions has been overshadowed by a myth that U.S. drug enforcement has become too lenient.This myth has been promoted by the multi-million dollar pro-drug legalization lobby, civil libertarians, and misguided academic researchers to the public with limited review and challenge.Attacks on

Drug Legalization Essay

1163 words - 5 pages Drug Legalization Drug legalization has become a great issue among Americans for many years, and there have also been those that try to stop that legalization. The article, “Legalizing Drugs is Not the Solution” by Gerald W. Lynch, has a good argument based on facts and incidents that have occurred from drug use. In this article a person thinks twice about what they are really doing when they use drugs, and it is clear as to why

Drugs Legalization Essay

533 words - 2 pages Prohibition from 1920 to 1933 also did not protect citizens from using alcohol. In my opinion, there are many economic, statistic, and rational reasons for drug legalization.There are many arguments which show that legalization could be a right step in legislative. The biggest problem on the drug market is untaxed money earned by criminal organizations, and billions of dollars, spending by Criminal Justice System, to fight with drugs. Gary E Johnson

Marijuana Legalization Essay 1073 Words

1073 words - 5 pages Over the past several years, one of the most heated social debates has been over the legalization of marijuana. According to the Drug Policy Alliance, “Marijuana is the most commonly used illegal drug in the U.S. and the world, and was a well-established medicine until it was federally criminalized in 1937”(10 Facts…). If this statement is true, then why is recreational use of marijuana illegal? The outcome of legalization could easily change