People are afraid of the unknown. They lie to create a persona that everyone will enjoy. So why do people lie to themselves and others to preserve self-image? Maybe they do not feel comfortable with themselves. They wouldn’t be the only ones either. Over a third of girls have a warped perspective of themselves. (McBride 1).
Family is a major influence over a child’s self image. “A mother’s weight, body image, attitude and health habits are strong indicators of her daughters.” (McBride 4) Children create a new “them” to remain their parents’ perfect angel. The children lie to stay young and perfect. Most of them do not want to grow up. Children that are complimented regularly by their mothers are more likely to have a better self-image. “Pryor gives credit for her good self-image to the way her parents raised her.” (McBride 2) Families who do not morally support their children will tend to make poor eating habits. “Some 89% of girls say their mothers make positive comments about how the girl looked.” (McBride 4) The other 11% are more susceptible to bullying and peer pressure.
Media is another component that influences a girl’s view of herself. This affects the way she believes she should look. At a very young age children are stuck in front of a TV. for entertainment. They grow up with the skinny women and diet commercials. The children are brainwashed into thinking that everyone must be a size zero. This is what they consider “healthy” living.
The Barbie doll is another example of media controlling girls view. They made her the unattainable dream of woman hood. Barbie, in human proportions, is implausible. The creator’s image of the doll was for her to become a role model for young ladies not the opposite. She said, “ Perhaps the doll’s real message is that once you start viewing your body as an amazing machine that can do all sorts of wonderful things, you stop caring if you look just like Barbie. (A Babe 1) She wanted young women to believe that they could do anything. That there are no limitations just because they’re female. Around the United States feminists are criticizing Barbie. The experts are saying that, “People are critically examining Barbie as a girl that keeps females thinking about their weight instead of their ideals.” (A Babe 1) In many cases this is true. Adolescent girls are more focused on looking like Barbie then being like her. In such cases the girls lie to themselves to fit in and be in with the popular kids. Media is a one of the many influences over girl’s perspective.
The community has an impact on the girl’s self image too. “That’s the finding of a 2006 nationwide study of more than 2,000 girls ages 8-17—plus 600 mothers and 460 boys—conducted by the Girl...