I. Executive summary
King of Shaves (KOS) is a British-based shaving, skin care and grooming brand founded by Will King. King incorporated KMI (Knowledge & Merchandising Inc. Ltd.) on April 13th 1993. It is KMI which owns the King of Shaves brand, along with other “premium-mass” toiletries brands. King of Shaves is sold internationally at the company's web site and through retailers worldwide. The brand's principle markets are the UK, USA, Australia, Scandinavia and New Zealand.
II. Current marketing situation
A. Market overview
i) Market demographics and needs
2.1.1 Market Demographics
• The immediate geographic target is the countries UK, USA, Australia, Scandinavia and New Zealand
• Principal customers are men.
• High income
• Good hygiene habits
• Concerned with appearance
2.1.2 Market Needs
King of Shaves seeks to fulfill the following benefits that are important to their customers.
• Quality: only sell products that can prove the quality
• Accessibility: People can easy by the products, by net or by the retailers that are increasing.
The life style is being more troubled and the need to have good looking is increasing, which makes the society more demanding and increases the integration need.
The main users of King of Shaves products are men, but with the launch of products for women, they started to be consumers too.
Users have good hygiene habits; they are concerned with their appearance and spend money to be more beautiful.
These clients are very demanding and always want a good product, so King of Shaves has a concern with the products’ quality. The product itself is made for and to be used by the company.
ii) Market trends and target market growth
Men are more worried about their appearance. Nowadays they don’t want only basic products, they want products to care their image, skin, hair, body, and so long. The concerns of men are changing and King of Shaves has a variety of products that can be offered to these consumers. The sales of this type of products are increasing, at the same time the sales of the King of Shaves products are increasing too. This is happening because more people are discovering the benefits of the King of Shaves products.
B. SWOT analysis
• The recognized quality of its products
• Variety of products Weaknesses
• Vulnerable to recession periods
• Company had very little money in the first period.
• The needs are changing: the concern for hygiene habits is increasing, mostly with men
• Increase in “metro sexual” trends
• Participation within a growing industry Threats
• High competitive and specialized capability of companies present in market
• KOS has to face a strong competition
• Easily copied by competitors
C. Competitive and industry analysis
King of Shaves has to combat an aggressive competition, led by Gillette who owns 55% of the market share (in 1993), Colgate, Wilkinson...