Verbal communication is what many believe to be the key source on how people communicate, but what is often ignored is a more subliminal way of communicating. This neglected aspect is known as non-verbal communication, which is done through body language. Body language is an important way to communicate, and humans use it more extensively than many people believe.
A common stereotype that is rehearsed in society is that women are more sensitive than men are. This “sensitivity” can mean a numerous amount of things, such as emotions, attitude, perception, observation, and much more. The notion can be viewed as a biased stereotype when it pertains to certain components, but not necessarily all of them. Take for example, in tests relating to people’s body language and non-verbal communication, it has been confirmed that women have done better than men in the majority of the tests administered. This observation is important to how truthful the stereotype that women are more sensitive than men is. Women's execution in perceiving and displaying of body language to achieve non-verbal communication is better executed than that of men’s.
The way the body moves and how others interpret it make up an extensive part of communication (Bolton 326). Facial expressions, gestures, and movements made with any part of the body greatly influence what someone is communicating with another person. Someone’s perception of another person’s s body language is affecting what is being communicated is also a key factor in non-verbal communication. Non-verbal communication can make up 70% of the communicative interaction, while the verbal communication makes up the other 30% (History Channel). This means that humans communicate more with their own body than what they are verbally saying, an element that is vital to understanding how to interact successfully with others.
Body language is a skill humans naturally have. It is observed early in babies that they shake their heads side to side when rejecting food or any other activity they do not wish to partake in, much like adults shake their heads no (History Channel). In another observation, all humans will make themselves bigger when they have pride and self-satisfaction, the way animals have demonstrated to do in nature. Contestants who have just won a race are often witnessed to execute the same action by raising their arms up and out in a V formation and raising their chin. This exact same action is performed by blind contestants who have never had the ability to see in their lives (Cuddy).. These observations are proof that non-verbal communication is not just a skill learned through observation or other means, but a natural response every human is born with.
Much of what comes with body language has to do with emotional intelligence. There are four parts to emotional intelligence, which are empathy, managing our emotions, self-awareness, and social skill (Coleman). In many of the testing done, women...