1. The main idea of the book is about racism, how it affects the world today, and how it change in time.
2. The author’s purpose for writing the book is to inform you about how serious racism is in the world.
3. 10 significant details :
• The whites who crafted the foundation of systemic racism were most concerned with “black race within bloom.”
• At the start of civil war, in 1861, nearly 4 million African Americans were legally enslaved in America.
• The U.S. criminal justice system uses a lot of systemic racism and African-Americans are directly targeted.
• Environmental justice is the “fair treatment of people of all races, income, and cultures with respect to the development, implementation and enforcement laws, regulations, and policies.
• The white supremacist system intentionally fosters history between groups of color.
• The roots of racial profiling can be traced back to America’s war on drugs in the 1980s when police were encouraged to stop and search members of certain groups.
• 30 percent of African Americans between the ages 20-29 are under correctional supervision or in jail.
• Every race displays racial prejudice to each other.
• There is a global racial pyramid that helps to shape the power and the biases of each race.
• African Americans still face widespread inequalities in education, employment, housing and income.
4. Causes and Effect:
“It is early in the morning, and the well-dressed young African American man driving his Ford Explorer on I-75 sees the blue lights of the Georgia State Patrol car behind him. The officer pulls behind the sport utility vehicle and the young man’s heart begins to sink. He is on his way to Atlanta for a job interview. The stop, ostensibly for speeding, should not take long, he reasons, as the highway patrol officer walks cautiously toward the Explorer. But instead of simply asking for driver’s license and writing a speeding ticket, the trooper calls for backup.”
5. Comparison and Contrast
Just similar to racialism of Jim Crow Laws in the 1930s, the racism of today is changed, but also alike in some ways. The manner they are alike is the cases by racism of both time eras. Equal as the time fleeting by, fierceness caused by racism still keeps happening. The change they have is that the laws caused discrimination between colored folks and white folks in the south, but there’s no parting at the present time anymore. Last, the place of colored folks is quite different in these days.
6. 5 Symbols:
• “economically disadvantaged”- distort our awareness of reality
• “white”- as positive to the culture
• “black”- as negative to the culture
• “DEA”- federal agency responsible for enforcing laws and regulations governing narcotics and controlled substances.
• “Racial profiling”- the use of race as grounds for...