STUDY SKILL SHOULD BE TAUGHT IN ELMENTARY SCHOOL
The reason that most people High School don’t have good study skills is because they were not taught proper study habits in Elementary School, where this should be taught.
To achieve good grades in high school a person must be disciplined in their study habits. Once a person reaches high school these habits must be ingrained into the personality of the young person so that they are second nature or it is to late.
Part of the Elementary school teaching there must be a course that teaches children as young as grade 1 or 2 how to do homework. This has to include how to break down a project into manageable pieces so that a child will know how to meet deadlines for major projects once they reach middle school and they are expected to hand work in on time without help from the teachers. To achieve this the following lessons must be taught.
How to take notes in class.
Taking accurate note is a major responsibility for people and without proper notes homework can and is a challenge. Here are a few simple steps to note taking.
1. Go to class prepared. This means having all the materials that you will need to participate in the class fully. Having pencils sharpened and enough paper to take all the notes that are needed. Nothing will hurt you more than having to stop and find more paper or pencil/pen in the middle of a lecture because once you have found what you are looking for the lecture has moved on and you have lost your concentration, or you have missed some of the points being lectured on.
2. Avoid distractions. By this I mean - no eating, drinking or talking. You are there to take notes and that should be the only thing you are doing.
3. Class Discussions. These are often more helpful than the lecture them self. When the class is discussing the subject ask questions and get clear answers because often the teacher is talking so fast that you will miss a point or two in the class discussions will be the time to clarify anything in the lecture that you didn’t understand in the lecture.
4. Pick out key word phrases. Then the teacher says things like “ the main point is …” or “ to summarize….” These are the main points to write down don’t miss them. Also if something is repeated that means that the teacher is trying to emphasize it and more than likely it is important and will be on the test!!
5. Here are 6points to keep in mind when taking notes.
a. No one can write everything down so don’t try.
b. Concentrate on the main ideas, content and information.
c. Try short hand for word – remember no one has to be able to read these notes but you so come up with short spelling for words that you will be able to read later.