Rules of playing
Poker mainly is perceived as a game of luck, however; when the rules of it are understood, poker is more off a game related to mental, mathematical, and physiological skills. This section will introduce the basic rules of poker, poker etiquette, the ranking values of the hands, and how the game proceeds.
Basic rules of poker
Poker is played with a typical pack of 52 cards. The cards are ranked (from high to low) Ace, King, Queen, Jack, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, Ace. (Ace can be high or low, but is usually high). There are four suits (spades, hearts, diamonds and clubs); however, no suit is greater than another.
• When starting with the game, the playing order starts in a clockwise direction.
• You are not allowed to discuss a hand (your cards) even if you folded and are out of the game.
• You leave your cards on the table flipped on their back with chips over them, if you want to see your cards you slightly tilt them with your hands covering them.
• Tipping the dealer with some chips is advisable.
The ranking value of hands
Hands are ranked as follows (from low to high):
• High card: such as an ace
• A pair of two cards with similar numerical value
• 2 pairs: 4 cards that have the same numerical value ( ex 2 3’s and 9s’)
• 3 of a kind (set): 3 cards of the same numerical value
• Straight: five cards in numerical sequential order in different suits
• flush: five cards in same suite
• A full house: 3 cards of the same number or 2 cards of the sam number
• 4 of a kind: 4 cards of the same number
• Straight flush: five cards in numerical sequential order in same suite
• A royal flush: 10 j,q,k, ace in order of the same suit and that is the best hand in poker.
How the game proceeds
We will be showing the basic procedure of the most famous type of poker, which is community poker; like Texas holdem.
The start of the game
Before any cards are dealt the two people on the left of the dealer are supposed to make blind bets (or ante: an amount of money or chips to start the game with), the big blind is the starting bet of the game.
After that all players are dealt 2 cards, where you are supposed to learn how to hide your emotions when seeing your cards; which is known as “the poker face”
Round one: the pre-flop
The first round of betting starts, which is the preflop (before showing the community cards)
The player on the left of the greatest blind bet starts with 3 options:
1. Fold: wehere he goes out of the games permenantly
2. Call: where he puts in the same amount of chips as the greater blind (when you call, you bet enough to match what has been bet since the last time you bet (for instance, if you bet a dime last time, and someone else bet a quarter, you would owe fifteen cents).
3. Raise: where he raises the chips by putting the greater bling in addition to the amount of the small blind (when you raise, you first bet enough to match what has been bet since the last time you bet (as in calling), then...