Unit 2: Constitution Scavenger Hunt
DIRECTIONS: Using your copy of the Constitution on pg. 68-86, answer the following questions.
Article I- ____________________________ Branch
1. How often are representatives elected?
EVERY 2 YEARS
2. How old must a Representative be to be elected?
25 YEARS OLD
3. How long is the term for a Senator?
4. How were Senators originally chosen? Which amendment changed that?
BY STATE LEGISLATURES – 17th AMENDMENT (NOW ELECTED BY THE PEOPLE)
5. How old does someone have to be to be a senator?
30 YEARS OLD
6. Who is the president of the Senate and when may that person vote?
VICE PRESIDENT – WHEN THERE IS A TIE
7. (Which legislative body has the power of impeachment and which body has the power to try an impeached official?
HOUSE OF REPS. HAS THE POWER TO IMPEACH
SENATE TRIES AN IMPEACHED OFFICIAL
8. (Who shall officiate when the President is tried for impeachment?
THE CHIEF JUSTICE OF THE U.S. SUPREME COURT
9. What is the required vote that is necessary to convict someone who has been impeached?
2/3rd VOTE IS NECESSARY TO CONVICT (66 OUT OF 100)
10. What is the only penalty that can be imposed on someone who is impeached?
REMOVED FROM OFFICE AND PREVENTED FROM HOLDING ANOTHER FEDERAL POSITION
11. Who decides the times, places, and manner for holding elections for Congress?
EACH STATE LEGISLATURE DECIDES ITS OWN RULES (CONGRESS CAN OVERRULE STATE ELECTION LAWS)
12. In what federal body do all bills concerning taxes/revenue originate?
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
13. What fraction of both houses must vote to override a veto?
2/3rd VOTE BY BOTH HOUSES TO OVERRIDE A PRESIDENT’S VETO
14. What happens when a president does not return a bill in 10 days and what is the exception to that rule?
THE BILL AUTOMATICALLY BECOMES A LAW
*EXCEPTION: IF CONGRESS HAS ADJOURNED, THE BILL DIES (“POCKET VETO”)
15. In Section 8, the Constitution lists or enumerates the powers of Congress. List 6 of them.
1. POWER TO TAX
2. POWER TO BORROW (BONDS)
3. REGULATE FOREIGN AND INTERSTATE COMMERCe
4. ESTABLISH NATURALIZATION LAWS
5. COIN MONEY AND REGULATION OVER THIS (FEDERAL RESERVE- regulates the economy)
6. PUNISH COUNTERFEITING
7. CREATE AND REGULATE A POST OFFICE
8. PASS COPYRIGHT AND PATENT LAWS
9. ESTABLISH FEDERAL COURT SYSTEM
10. PROTECT PEOPLE ON THE HIGH SEAS (Coast Guard)
11. POWER TO DECLARE WAR
12. CREATE AND MAINTAIN A STANDING ARMY
13. MAINTAIN A NAVY
14. MAKE RULES FOR THE ARMED FORCES
15. CREATE MILITIA (NATIONAL GUARD)
16. PASS RULES GOVERNING THE NATIONAL GUARD
17. MAKE LAWS FOR WASHINGTON, D.C.
18. MAKE ALL LAWS NECESSARY AND PROPER FOR CARRYING INTO EXECUTION THE ABOVE POWERS
16. In Section 8, which clause gives Congress the most general, non-specific powers?
CLAUSE 18- The Elastic Clause- “Necessary and Proper” Clause
17. In Section 9, there are three limitations on the power of Congress to deny the people rights. What are those three limitations?
1. Writ of Habeaus Corpus- government can’t...