Define the term biotechnology.
Biotechnology is the use of biological processes, organisms, or systems to manufacture products intended to improve the quality of human life.
State the meaning of a transgenic species.
Transgenic species have had specific DNA and foreign genes inserted into their genome. They are most commonly created by the micro-injection of DNA into the pronuclei of a fertilized egg which is implanted into the oviduct of a pseudopregnant surrogate mother. This results in the specific animal giving birth to genetically modified offspring.
Identify two transgenic species, an animal and a plant.
Plant – vaccine producing bananas
Animal – Goat: producing spider silk
Describe the process of making a transgenic species.
1. Isolate DNA that codes for the protein you want to express.
2. Insert the DNA into a plasmid
3. Insert the plasmid into bacteria. Grow a large amount of bacteria containing this plasmid.
4. Dip the flowering plant into a large amount of bacteria.
5. Give bacteria the opportunity to insert the DNA into the plant cells.
6. Select for plants that have the insertion
Compare two benefits and two ethical issues that society might have with the development of any transgenic species.
Agricultural Applications –
Breeding: higher growth rates, and more producing in shorter amounts of time.
Disease Resistance: influenza-resistant pigs etc.