Dr. Scott Martin
( KINE4000.001 (
Project 2: Social Reinforcement Field Observation
Project 2 gives you experience in these areas: (a) observing instruction of a group physical activity and coding instructor behavior using the Coaching Behavior Assessment System (CBAS; Smith, Smoll, & Hunt 1977); (b) describing and evaluating the instructor's behavior; and (c) integrating and applying your knowledge of sport and exercise psychology to a practical setting. Specifically, this project consists of an observation/coding session, a typed evaluation paper, and quiz.
Project 2 Instructions: Field Observation/Coding Session
1. Select a physical activity instructor (physical activity teacher, coach, fitness leader, or athletic trainer) to observe in a group setting (the instructor should be working with four or more individuals during your observation period). Explain to the instructor that you need to observe a group or a team for a university class you're taking. Arrange with him or her a date and time to observe an entire activity session. During this session you'll code his or her behavior for at least 25 minutes.
2. Become very familiar with the CBAS before attending your observation session. At the session, review the categories before you attempt to code behavior. Try to get a feel for the behaviors before you begin your coding. Position yourself so you can both see and hear the instructor.
3. Use the CBAS coding sheet that is provided to record the instructor's behavior toward the individuals with whom she or he is working. For each behavior, place a mark next to the appropriate category.
4. After you have completed your observation session, tally the totals in each of the categories. Record each category total and also the grand total. Use these totals to determine the percentages for each behavioral category. Turn in your recording sheet with your paper.
Instructions: Writing the Summary Evaluation Paper
The final paper should adhere to the guidelines provided in the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA). That is, your final product should be typed using Times Roman 12-point font, double-spaced, with 1-inch margins. Each source should be cited within the text according to the APA format guidelines. For example, the following statement could be made within the paper. Coaches should primarily use a positive approach to motivation to avoid the potential drawbacks of regularly using punishment (Weinberg & Gould, 2003). Likewise, each source should be referenced at the end of the paper according to the APA guidelines (see Reference list at the end of this section)
The final paper should include the CBAS data sheet and 2 -3 typed pages summarizing your observations (e.g., ratios, percentages, total numbers, and specific comments or feedback made). Based on your observation and what you have learned about reinforcement principles, include the following four sections in your paper:
1. An introductory paragraph describing...