Etymologically , sociology derived from the word ' socio ' or ' society ' which means people and ' logy ' means science or logos . So simple in the sense that sociology is a science of society or the life sciences community . In a broader sense sociology is objective and scientific study of man in society , the study of institutions and social processes . Sociology trying to figure out how society is possible , how it progresses and how he stays there . Therefore, in the sociological approach is usually analyzed in the human society by understanding the process of starting up into human society as an individual . Sociology is the study of human social institutions and processes are objective ...view middle of the document...
Second , the sociology of literature that questioned the elements forming a literary work itself. It discusses the main problem of the subject. Third , sociology that probleming literary readers with social influence literature . Approach to literature that considers the social aspects of the so-called sociology of literature by using text analysis to determine its structure , to then be used to understand the deeper social phenomena outside literature ( Damono , 2003:3 ) .
The purpose of the sociological approach
A. Social Context Author The social context
Has to do with the writer 's social position in society and literary relation to the reading public . In these key areas as well as social factors that can affect the literary work . Therefore , the primarily studied are as follows:
• How do writers earn livelihood, whether he received help from the guardian or from the people directly or duplicate work .
• Professionalism in authorship, the extent to which writers regard their work as a profession .
• People designated by letters . In this case, the relation between the writer and the community is very important because it is often found that the kinds of people who intended it determines the form and content of their literature ( Damono , 1979: 3-4 ) .
B. Literature As Public Mirror Literature
As a mirror of society , namely the extent to which literature is regarded as reflecting the state of society . The word " mirror " here can cause blurred picture , and therefore is often misunderstood and misused . In this connection , attention is mainly should get .
• Literature may be said to be representative of the population at the time it was written , because many community characteristics shown in the literature that is no longer valid at the time it was written .
• The nature of the "other of the other " poet often influence the selection and performance of social facts in his work .
• The genre of literature is often a social attitude of a particular group , and not the social attitudes throughout society .
• Literature that seeks to show the state of society that hair-splitting may not be believed or accepted as a mirror of society . Vice versa , the literature is not at all intended to illustrate the state of society as a conscientious may still be trusted as a material to determine the state of society . Social views must be considered when literary writers will be considered as a mirror of society ( Damono , 1979: 4 ) .
C. Social Function of Literature
Sociological approach seesks to answer questions such as "How much the value of literature related to social values ? " , And "How much value literature influenced social values ? " There...