Of all the educational resources to which a student is exposed, approximately 75 percent are accessible in school cites nces.ed.gov. These resources include Internet access, a library, and teacher assistance, but what about the other 25 percent? Students who do not have limitations to their resources tend to have a higher success rates throughout high school is a situation that is often misinterpreted. Similarly the 25 percent of pupils without accessibility to those resources outside school seem to be deterred in their quest to complete their high school education. In order to for that 25 percent to achieve their academic standards, society needs to recognize the aspects of a student’s education. Personal morals and unequal opportunity to access certain resources are prime indicators of a student’s academic success.
The academic success of a student is comprised of many different aspects. When evaluating one’s success, every component plays a key role on the journey to getting a high school diploma. Carefully examining the controversial issues of the educational system has led one to believe that if students were more empowered in accessing a better quality education, they would be more active in achieving the highest standard. Unfortunately, adolescents fall into the stereotype of everyday life. If stereotypes of under represented groups are always associated with lack of achievement, then they will eventually adopt the idea of under achievement. Around the world, stereotypes are hindering teenagers from overcoming the odds and being the person they would like to be. Parenting and schooling are the main sources of the morals one will adopt and use to progress in life.
Parental involvement in an adolescent’s life is a major aspect of a student’s academic success. Having parents active in their child’s school helps the educational process progress. If one analyzes the lives of various students who attend the same school, then one would see a definite differentiation. Stereotypes often classify students based on their home environment but those stereotypes are false. For example, Student A is raised in well off middle class home, with two parents, and freedom in terms of they do what they want, when they want to do it. He/she is extremely different from Student B, a lower middle class student that comes from a single parent home with strict limitations such as curfew and money expenses. Although different, most people fall into the stereotypical frame of mind and infer that Student A will do better in school because he/she has two parents. Another false stereotype is that Student B, with a single parent, may not have as much access to resources as Student A. Student B could actually be achieving higher standards and have more access to educational resources than Student A, who has “better opportunities.” Ultimately and often overlooked, the morals that are instilled in both Student A and Student B will truly determine their accomplishments.