What makes a suicide bomber? Is it religions upbringing with promises of paradise in reward for acts of martyrdom? Is it the parental support he or she receives for his convictions? Is it society with no means of fighting back against oppression and humiliation? (http://www.israelinsider.com/channels/security/articles/sec0049.htm). In this paper I will discuss the characteristics of a suicide bomber, their mission, as well as discuss suicide attacks.
Suicide bombers are said to believe that God sends them on their missions, and by the time they are ready to be stopped with explosives, they had reached a hypnotic state. (http://www.israelinsider.com/channels/security/articles/sec0049.htm) As one can see, religion is a powerful factor. Though the Koran teaches against taking one's own life, the suicide bombers are seen as martyrs and are said to be living in the heavens. (http://www.cnn.com/2001/world/hanna.focus) However, it is stated that suicide is forbidden in Islam. However, fighting oppression is commendable, harming innocent bystanders, even in times of war, was forbidden by the prophet Muhammad. (www.israelinsider.com/channels/security/articles/sec0049.htm) Suicide bombers are very complex. They are never justified in their actions. According to Yediot Aharonot, this is the profile of a typical suicide bomber:
1. 97% of the suicide bombers have an academic education and an additional 28% have at least a high school education.
2. 83% of suicide bombers are single.
3. 64% of the suicide bombers are between the ages 18-23; most of the rest are under 30 years of age, and
4. 68% of the suicide bombers have come from the Gaza Strip. (http://www.israelinsider.com)
Suicide bombers carry explosives on his/her body or in a vehicle driven by his/herself and, by personal choice and with full self-awareness, approach a previously chosen target and blows his/herself up. (Yoram Schweitzer, ICT Researcher) The suicide bomber, in accordance with prevailing circumstances, chooses the time and place to execute the explosion so that it will cause the maximum damage to the target. (http://www.ict.org.il)
According to Edwin Schneidman, there are ten characteristics of suicide: (?Definition of Suicide? 1985)
1. The common stimulus is ?unendurable psychological pain.?
2. The common stress in suicide is ?frustrated psychological need.?
3. The common purpose of suicide is ?to seek a solution.?
4. The common goal of suicide is ?cessation of consciousness.?
5. The common emotion in suicide is ?hopelessness-helplessness.?
6. The common internal attitude toward suicide is ?ambivalence.?
7. The common cognitive state in suicide is ?constriction.?
8. The common interpersonal act in suicide is ?communication of intrusion.?
9. The common action in suicide is ?egression? (a way out).
10. The common...