Do you need to increase synergy and trust within the team? Here are some activities that will help you improve the team coalition and knowledge. All of the activities are suited for both distributed teams and on site teams.
Open water challenge
This activity requires preparation on the facilitator part. It will provide an opportunity to engage in productive debate, learn how to power one another's knowledge, and experience the benefits of team work. This activity should be done in groups with 5-8 people.
Scenario: Your team has escaped a sinking ship by setting out on a life raft that will hold up to eight persons. You are in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight. You have a ...view middle of the document...
You are all wearing t-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops. Other than your clothing and the one item you brought, you have nothing else.”
• Slide 3: Create a slide titled "Find Solutions" with this text: Think about how you can combine the equipment you have to survive the longest. To use any piece of equipment you must say the name of the owner when referencing it, for example, "Lynn's rope," "Remy's belt," "Nico's knife," and so on. To increase your likelihood for rescue you need fresh water, a way to signal rescuers, and food.”
3. Present the slides and the challenge. The activity should not last more than 15 minutes. Remind team members of the rule that they must name the owner of the equipment in order to use that item.
After activity discussion:
• What proved to be the most effective skill in coming up with solutions?
• Do you feel everyone's voice was heard while looking for solutions?
o If yes, what did the team do to encourage everyone's opinion?
o If no, what could have been done to increase the contributions?
• How does this exercise mirror our own team?
This activity deepens the level of self-disclosure and trust among team members and increases the level of inside-team knowledge.
Procedure: Randomly assign a question to each team member. Have them reply during a meeting or conference call. Feel free to make up your own questions!
• Tell us about one of your superpowers.
• Who in your life has had the greatest impact on you? Why?
• What is your most important daily ritual?
• Which one of your accomplishments are you most proud of?
• What is the best pet you ever had?
• What is your favourite...