The Benefits of Computer Conferencing and Collaborative Technologies
There are various benefits to computer conferencing however there are
still a few problems. The best way to eliminate most of these problems
is to diversify the ways of communication.
Terms of Reference
An explanation to the benefits of computer conferencing and
Well I used the search engine yahoo I typed in "what is computer
conferencing" then looked through all the websites available. However
the subject matter was too broad so went to advanced search and
excluded the word equipment because I was getting too many websites
offering the equipment. The evidence for this is on the references
it's the yahoo website.
Firstly I would like to explain what computer conferencing does. It is
the gives the opportunity for interactive group communication,
learning and decision-making. This is done by the use of software and
either the Internet or a network.
The key features of computer conferencing are;
* Asynchronous Communication - This means that communication is not
affected by geographical location or time zones.
* Structured Communication - the software separates different
* Text Based Communication - this mean that the communication is
* Group involvement - most of the communication takes place in large
group discussion areas where each member can read and add to the
discussion. They can also send private message to other
Computer conferencing can be used for;
* Collaborative Learning - Because it allows group involvement in
* Active Learning - It encourages greater contribution and
responsibility for the learning.
* Interactive Learning - Promotes discussion and information
exchange regardless of location.
* Equitable Distribution Of Communication - everyone has an equal
amount of distribution.
* Reflection - It allows time for the participant for research and
reflection before response so therefore the response is more
accurate and planned.
Benefits of computer conferencing;
* Cost Effective - This is due to the fact that it saves the various
participants travelling to the meeting room.
* Saves Time - No time is spent on travelling to the meeting. So the
time can be spent more effectively.
* Removes Geographical Barrier - This is due to the fact that the
conferencing can be on the Internet so therefore it can be