Missing Works Cited
We kill people to show them killing is wrong. The death penalty does not punish people for killing but for murdering someone. Murder is "the unlawful, malicious, or permitted killing of one human being by another" (Carmical 1). The slogan should be ?We execute people to show people that murder is wrong.? The death penalty is racist, it punishes the poor, it causes the innocent to die, it is not a deterrent against violent crime, and it is cruel and unusual punishment. The death penalty is wrong and it should be abolished.
The death penalty ?cruel and unusual punishment.? At one time in history around six hundred people were executed, and in those six-hundred eighty of them were innocent but still executed (Thomas 2). Many people say that the death penalty is lawful. They think that if the punishment is carried out by the government and not by one person it is fine, and it is not cruel and unusual punishment (Carmical 2). Yes, the men who constructed the constitution supported the death penalty, but times have changed and so has the constitution. The constitution should abolish the death penalty (Carmical 5).
Many states in America have already abolished the death penalty, including Michigan. If the U.S wants to abolish the death penalty all together we would just need to take it step by step and then it would be easy. It would be easy because studies show that 68% of the sentences actually don?t happen! We only need to worry about the other 32 % (Dieter Speech 5). And 82% of the
Cases end up in life sentences in jail. The goal is to end all cases, for murdering someone, to life sentences.
A couple amendments have to do with the death penalty. These two would be the 5th and 8th amendments. Double jeopardy is against the 5th amendment. If evidence were found after the prosecution, the retrial would be unconstitutional or double jeopardy. The 8th amendment says that excessive bail shall not be required, or excessive fines, or cruel and unusual punishment.
The commission of human rights is a group of people putting guidelines for the death penalty so it really isn?t cruel and unusual punishment. They have five main guidelines, here they are. The commission of human rights urges states to restrict the number of death penalties happening per year. Every year there should be a decreasing amount of executions. This would lead to the abolishing of the death penalty. They urge all states that still hold the death penalty not to execute a person as long as any related legal procedure, at international or national level. Lastly they try not to allow the executions of the mentally ill to happen (Richard International 3).
There are five ways to execute a person. The five are: lethal gas, lethal injection, electrocution, hanging, and firing squad. The most commonly used are lethal injection and electrocution. Lethal injection is when the people inject a shot into both of your arms. It takes about three minutes until...