香港考試局 保留版權 Hong Kong Examinations Authority All Rights Reserved 2001
HONG KONG EXAMINATIONS AUTHORITY
HONG KONG CERTIFICATE OF EDUCATION EXAMINATION 2001
BIOLOGY PAPER 1
8.30 am - 10.00 am (1½ hours) This paper must be answered in English
1. Attempt THREE questions only.
2. Each question consists of three parts.
3. All questions carry equal marks.
4. In each question, 2 additional marks will be awarded for effective communication.
5. The diagrams in this paper are NOT necessarily drawn to scale.
2001-CE BIO PAPER 1
2001-CE-BIO 1-2 - 1 -
1. (a) The diagram below shows a town and its surrounding areas :
(i) Domestic sewage produced in the town is first treated in the sewage treatment plant. The effluent (treated sewage) is then used to irrigate the fields.
(1) During sewage treatment, air is bubbled into the sewage continuously. Explain the importance of this step. (3 marks)
(2) Suggest two reasons why the practice of using the effluent to irrigate the fields is environmentally friendly. (2 marks)
(ii) If the same crop is grown in the fields year after year, the annual production of the fields will decrease. Suggest two reasons for this.
(iii) Uncontrolled deforestation occurs in the mountain areas. Explain one way in which this activity may affect the water supply to the town.
2001-CE-BIO 1-3 - 2 - Go on to the next page
1. (b) The graphs below show the concentration of three substances in the renal artery, and the changes in their concentration along the nephron and the collecting duct :
(i) Explain the difference in the concentration of protein between the blood plasma and the fluid in the nephron. (2 marks)
(ii) What process causes the increase in urea concentration along the collecting duct ? (1 mark)
(iii) (1) What may substance X be ? (1 mark)
(2) Explain the change in the concentration of substance X along the nephron. (3 marks)
(iv) If a person eats a lot of beans, how would the amount of urea excreted be affected ? Explain your answer. (4 marks)
Percentage of protein
Percentage of urea
Percentage of substance X
blood plasma in renal artery fluid in nephron fluid in collecting duct
2001-CE-BIO 1-4 - 3 -
1. (c) The X-ray photograph below shows a human molar :
(i) Using the letters in the photograph, state all the structures that is / are
(1) richly supplied with capillaries,
(2) rich in calcium salts. (2 marks)
(ii) Based on the X-ray photograph, make a labelled drawing of this tooth. (4 marks)
(iii) Explain how the process of digestion would be affected if a person lost most of this type of tooth. (3 marks)
2001-CE-BIO 1-5 - 4 - Go on to the next page
2. (a) The diagram below shows a section of the human eye :
(i) State one function of A. What feature of A contributes to this function ? (2 marks)
(ii) A small object may form an image on spot B or C, and it will be perceived differently. What is the...