The Role of Sexuality in Our Lives
The word “sexuality” has been looked upon as taboo and for centuries many of us grow up being taught how this part of our lives shouldn't be expressed openly. We all experience the feeling as humans, we share this characteristic. Some of us are taught not to express any feeling that has to do with our inner wants when it comes to this topic. It could make us more loving or even at times some incidents can ruin our lives. Even though we are under educated in this area, it's natural and healthy because sexuality is part of emotional fulfillment and we all have different needs to feel loved.
Some define sexuality as their general identity while others shy away anything that has to do with this subject. According to The Journal of Sex Research, a study of 137 (46 gay, 46 lesbian, 45 heterosexual) couples in new relationships between the ages of 18-38 was performed. Within this study 65% said they were always or typically open with their sexuality, and the other 35% said they were typically guarded in expression of their sexuality (Expression of Sexuality, The journal of Sex Feb 2006). This study may shows how no matter which type of relationship we may be involved with, the feelings remain same throughout each type of these different relations. In the open eyes of society this may be a easy target for someone not in a man/woman relationship to be prey of judgments based upon the outer appearance of your relationship.
Our urges of want and need are stimulated from the limbic parts of our brains which are hormonally regulated and very similar to that of other mammals. These responses and signals between the body/brain change as we go through different phases of our lives along with aging plays a factor. Emotional connection, how the partner is viewed prior to engaging in any sexual intimacy, will alter the outcome of the how the ending to this connection will be.
Females tend the need to connect emotionally more than males. For instance 40% of the female referrals at a London sexual problems clinic were for low or absent sexual desire, compared with 6% male referrals. Our cultural backgrounds and genes may play a role in how we prepare ourselves mentally to awaken our senses of sexuality and passion.
Faith also plays an importance in sexual activities. A poll of 502 teens, conducted by the Christian News Service, determined that more than 80% of those surveyed disciplined their sexual activity and behavior on the basis of their faith values (Christian Courier,com). It's been said faith has made it easier for certain individual to be more respectful and loyal as well taught them how to protect their honor along with their relationship. For some faith allows them to be faithful to their partner and teach good values to their children and for others faith may not play a significant role in determining being faithful.
Along with all these great feelings...