The Rwandan Genocide was a terrible event in Africa's history that decimated many minorities in Rwanda. The Hutu killed 800,000 people of minority in Rwanda, including Tutsi and Pygmy people in 100 days, and if it was scaled to the length of time the Holocaust took place, the casualties would be more than 34 million people killed. Citizens were told to gather arms and fight against their neighbor, and many obeyed.
Before the war
By the 1990’s Rwanda was one of Africa’s most populous countries, despite having a small land mass. 85 percent of the population was Hutu, the other 15 percent consisted of mostly Tutsi, along with a small number of Twa, and a group of Pygmies that originally ...view middle of the document...
The Hutu regime in office believed that the only way to retain their power was to completely wipe out all of the Tutsi people.
People were encouraged by the presidential guard to join a militia group called Interahamwe, which means those who attack together. (BBC Staff) The Militia had 30,000 people when it was at full force. Soldiers and the police encouraged everyday citizens to take part in the fight. Many would have to kill their neighbors they had known for their whole life.
More often than not, anyone whom helped was given things like food, or money. Some were also told that they could keep any land of the Tutsi they killed. (BBC Staff)
The country of Rwanda was mainly left alone by other countries. The United Nations called back their troops after ten of their troop’s deaths.
The Rwandan Patriotic Front, or RPF captured Kigali, Rwanda’s capital. The government collapsed and the RPF declared a ceasefire. Once the RPF was known to be victorious, nearly 2 million Hutu people fled to Zaire, which is now the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Even though the killing in Rwanda had ceased, the presence of Hutu militia groups still existed in the Democratic Republic of Congo. This has led to many instances of fighting, and has caused over 5 million deaths.
Impact on modern world
According to New York Times article named “After Rwanda’s Genocide” “Over the past two decades, Rwanda has done an impressive job of rebuilding its institutions and economy. To bring perpetrators of the genocide to justice, the United Nations has conducted more than 70 tribunal cases, Rwanda’s courts have tried up to 20,000 individuals, and the country’s Gacaca courts have handled some 1.2 million additional cases.”