At the dawn of the Industrial Era, many curative people imagined the future of humans and how we could advance in technology. But as we neared the future they imagined we reared off the line many times. We could have used ethyl, may cars in the early 1900's had engines that used both gasoline and ethyl. The United States of America has been using gasoline for over 100 years and has now as a country we need to change to a new source, sooner or later.
Every single day we drive our cars to work, turn on the lights, and use our computers. All of these things use oil; the gas to drive, plastic in the cars and computers. Almost everything we use has something to do with oil. “The United states uses nearly 400 million gallons of oil every day moving people in automobiles, goods on freight trucks, air travel, rail and transit.”(Sierra Club 1) Many people don’t thing about all the things that we use today that has to use gas. When you fill up your cars gas tank, you’re putting in around 18 to 20 gallons of gas. But add up all the people in the United States and you got an astronomically huge amount of gas. But that’s not even half of what the number is, you still got air planes, trains, and not even included in the number above, the amount of oil used to run oil power plants that are in almost every state in the United States.”Americans send over $1 billion abroad every day to pay for oil.” (Sierra Club 1)Most people don’t get $1 billion in a life time. Yet we are spending $365 billion a year just for gas. If we could somehow stop spending so much money on gas, we could focus on more important things in the United States.
The United States gets oil from many countries that are very powerful to America because they can stop selling oil to us at any time. The biggest oil selling countries are nine countries are under the state departments travel warning list and yet they still sell us oil. These countries have long term problems with the United States and we deemed their government unstable. This list includes Algeria, Chad, Colombia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Iraq, Mauritania, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and Syria. We import around 1.5 billion barrels of oil a day from just these countries. They supply us with 3/8 the oil we need a day. (CAP 2) If countries stop supplying us oil then we would be in big trouble. Gas prices would soar, plastic would become more expensive than metal. The people would be very upset and bad things would happen. Lucky right now, they are not mad enough to stop taking our money. The United States consumes 23% of the oil used in the world. (CAP 3) Just under ¼ the oil being used is in the United States and yet we only have 300 million people living here. The rest of the 6.7 billion people only use 77% of the oil produced. We already used up half the oil in the world since we started to use oil and we are using more oil than ever before.
The amount of money we spend on oil is huge, we buy so much of it and we...