Mitch and Morrie
Tuesdays with Morrie depicts two men one in his thirties named Mitch, and the other much older named Morrie. Mitch was a student of Morrie’s in the late 1970’s and a friendship grew from there. Mitch is a sports writer, but the paper he worked for is on strike. Morrie has ALS and can no longer teach or do the things he loved and was able to do just months before. The two become estranged after Mitch graduates. After seeing a television episode with Morrie being interviewed, Mitch finds out his old professor is sick and regrets not keeping touch. This prompts him to pay Morrie a visit where the two fall right back into the role of Mitch the student and Morrie the Professor.
ALS: Incidence, Pathophysiology, and Prognosis
ALS is a disease of the nervous system. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis can be directly translated to mean muscle wasting. Only 10% of cases can be traced to familial causes, the other 90% of cases are completely random. Only six to eight of every 100,000 people are diagnosed with ALS, making it a rare disease. ALS is a degenerative disease that affects the motor neurons of the in the cerebral cortex and the motor neurons in the brain stem and spinal cord. The loss of these neurons is progressive and asymmetrical, there is no remission, and the muscle weakness will get to the respiratory system and affect breathing ability eventually (Gould & Dyer, 2011).
As of right now, there are no diagnostic tests to confirm the disease. Instead, doctors use many tests to eliminate other possible diseases and diagnosis. There is however a new test being evaluated that looks at biomarkers in the cerebral spinal fluid. Currently there is no treatment for ALS. Caring for someone with ALS requires many specialists in order to give the person the best chance at slowing the degeneration, especially to the respiratory tract, and the ability to swallow. A common nursing diagnosis for ALS would be impaired mobility that could lead to injury, or impaired ability to swallow. Mobility would be a primary concern with patients who have ALS (Gould & Dyer, 2011).
Spirituality is often thought of as subjective, but generally can be described as believing in something whether it is a religion or a broader idea like the ones Mitch and Morrie talk about in their Tuesday sessions. Morrie truly believes that if he can give love he will get it in return, this first example of spirituality can be seen in the chapter titled The First Tuesday We Talk About The World Morrie says “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in” (Albom, 1997, pp. 52). To Morrie love comes first, and that idea is reiterated through out the book. The second example of spirituality is on page 81 when Mitch and Morrie are talking about death, “To know you’re going to die, and to be prepared for it at any time. That’s better. That way you can actually be more involved in your life while you’re...