SLIDE 1: Today I am going to present to you about the effectiveness of the use of social media as a way to improve education.
SLIDE 2: Huffington Post, called “Social Networking In Schools: Educators Debate The Merits Of Technology In Classrooms”, which drove me to question whether the merits really outweigh the demerits or not.
The article provides both pros and cons about using technology, specifically social media websites, as a method of providing information and resources for educators and students. The article presents the debate of the uses of social networking in school environments and assesses the positive and negative impact that social media has on education. It presents ...view middle of the document...
SLIDE 4: Advantages.
• In the past time there is a division between school and extra-curricular life, such that school stays at school. Social media bridges this gap uniting school with the extra-curricular lives of students. "By understanding how students may be positively using these networking technologies in their daily lives and where the as-yet-unrecognized educational opportunities are, we can help make schools even more relevant, connected, and meaningful to kids."
o Presents the main idea of the article in a positive way. “as-yet-unrecognized educational opportunities” refers to the open ended opportunities, in this case social media, that has not been fully used in the education system.
o Social media extends communication and makes education relevant outside of the classroom, creating engagement amongst the students.
o This implies that it allows effective interaction with others, improving communication skills and critical thinking as they encounter various problems.
• The article presents a precise example of the benefits of social networking; “A year after seventh grade teacher Elizabeth Delmatoff started a pilot social media program in her Portland, Oregon classroom, 20 percent of students school-wide were completing extra assignments for no credit, grades had gone up more than 50 percent, and chronic absenteeism was reduced by more than a third."
o The tone in the quote is statistical and direct with the purpose of providing evidence to make a claim. The claim made is that social media positively affects student education in and out of the classroom.
It is said that use of social networking not only benefits students, but also provides new opportunities for communication amongst teachers and administrators. The article quotes, "Tech savvy administrators are using blogs as a tool to keep parents, teachers, and students informed of the things going on in their schools."
o This quote includes allusions to different kinds of groups of people in society, referring to the diversity of users.
o Which shows the potential of collecting and managing information to be provided to parents, teachers and students through social networking.
SLIDE 5: Disadvantages.
Negatives of educating students through the teaching methods involving social media as a platform of communication.
1. Inappropriate materials or cyber bullying by peers due to lack of face-to-face interactions that often neglect the nature of human communication to an extent.
The article quotes, “Mostly kids at risk already have a bunch of social and emotional problems in their lives. These kids are the ones who might engage in risky behaviors, seek out sex talk online and knowingly meet people who are older.”
• This quote provoke the demerits of social media, not just in education but as a whole, by using negative connotations like “emotional problems” and “sex talk”.
2. Examples of this could be Facebook stalking of profiles or any form of government monitoring of the...