The topic of undocumented immigrants is heavily debated across the United States. Furthermore, the concept of these undocumented immigrants receiving subsidized healthcare is an even more highly controversial matter. The conflicting sides are significantly divided even though the United States of America was founded upon the notion of freedom and the melting pot ideology. This paper will examine the dilemma of undocumented immigrants and access to subsidized healthcare; yield a few attainable solutions in addition to some recommendations for the future on how this issue may be solved.
Immigration has been around in the United States of America since the colonial times. Along with those immigrants come many other issues, including healthcare. Many of the millions of immigrants presently in the United States are without insurance. This paper will discuss how important it is for us as Americans to provide those who are uninsured and here illegally with some form of subsidized care. Additionally, this article will inform readers on reasons why this should derive from an ethical stand point and due to the associated health risk that can come about for those who are here legally. The multiplying constituency base includes healthcare providers, consumers, and buyers. There is a great importance to these individuals regarding the assurance of a more equitable and accountable system of healthcare (Kaiser Family Foundation).
The terms “illegal immigration” and “undocumented immigration” are often used in an interchangeable manner. “Illegal immigration is the movement of a person from his native country to foreign country, with an intent to find a lively hood and settle down without the permission of the government. Illegal immigration is an offense with legal consequences from the state’s criminal code.” (Buzzle.com) Undocumented immigrants are not all settled into the United States of America under the same circumstances. In the vicinity of 55% of the undocumented immigrant population are people who made entrance into the United States without permission. The other 45% of the population are people that originally had permission to be a part of the United States. However, these individuals remained in the country past the amount of time they were given according to their visa (Theadvocatesforhumanrights.org).
Immigration in the United States dates back to colonial times circa 1607 and still occurs today (ProCon.org, “Historical Timeline”). Along with the long history of immigration in the United States, healthcare has always been viewed as a right and not a privilege here. The adoption of a system of social insurance for American use proved that healthcare and well being should be a right of the people. Today, the United States has a very diverse population of people, many of them being immigrants from other countries. “Immigrants are a large and rapidly growing segment of the [United States] population, and...