Servant leadership paper
Although servant leadership is often associated with the Bible and Jesus Christ, it is totally compatible with most religions and theories of philosophy. This statement is very apt to the point under discussion. Using Greenleaf characteristics of servant leadership against the religious philosophy of Buddhism and transformational leadership style, an attempt is made to prove the point.
James McGregor Burns, well known leadership thinker first introduced the concept of transformational leadership in his famous work, "Leadership." As per definition transformational leadership is a process where leaders and their team support each other to higher levels of morality and ...view middle of the document...
Listening is a wide term for them which also includes getting in touch with one's inner voice
• Servant leaders empathize with others
• One of the great strengths of servant leadership is their ideal for healing others
• Awareness of oneself and others
• Servant leaders convince others, rather than forcing compliance. Transformational leaders do the same too
• Servant leaders dream great dreams and act them out.
• Foresight is a characteristic which makes one to understand the past, present, and the consequence of a decision in the future.
• Greenleaf believed that humans play significance roles in bringing about betterment of society.
• Servant leaders are also committed to a personal and professional growth of their team
• Servant leaders believe in building community
A special mention to the Greenleaf trait of Persuasion is apt at this juncture as Servant leaders rely on persuasion, rather their position and authority. They convince others, and would never force others to follow their orders. This trait is way different from the traditional authoritarian model. The servant leader thus is great at building unison within groups. This becomes easy given the fact that the servant leader has the respect of his followers. These leaders in spite of holding an authority over their subordinates do not take it to their head. The very persona of this leader persuades others to follow their decisions owing to the respect they command from their followers. Their team trusts and believes them completely
Servant leadership qualities; accessed 4 Apr 2014
The best instance of this quality observed in person is Mother Teresa. Her very persona epitomizes the servant leader. She did not order or command the world to love and make peace but her words of persuasion and kindness...